Peter J. Burke
Peter J. Burke is a professor in the Department of Sociology. One of the originators of Identity Theory, his research draws on Complexity Theory, Artificial Intelligence, and Computer Simulation to understand (1) how individuals, acting as agents with particular identities, come together in interaction to create larger aggregates, groups, organizations and societies, and (2) how these social structures constrain and limit the kinds of actions that individuals can take.
- Communication, Language
- Gender Psychology
- Group Processes
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Sociology, Social Networks
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Burke, P. J. (2006). Contemporary social psychological theories. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Burke, P. J., Owens, T. J., Serpe, R., & Thoits, P. A. (Eds.). (2003). Advances in identity theory and research. New York: Kluwer/Plenum.
- Burke, P. J., & Stets, J. E. (2009). Identity theory. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Burke, P. J. (2006). Identity change. Social Psychology Quarterly, 69, 81-96.
- Burke, P. J. (2004). Identities and social structure: The 2003 Cooley-Mead Award Address. Social Psychology Quarterly, 67, 5-15.
- Burke, P. J. (2004). Identities, events, and moods. Advances in Group Processes, 21, 25-49.
- Burke, P. J., Stets, J. E., & Cerven, C. (2007). Gender, legitimation, and identity verification in groups. Social Psychology Quarterly, 70, 27-42.
- Cast, A. D., & Burke, P. J. (2002). A theory of self-esteem. Social Forces, 80, 1041-1068.
- Stets, J. E., & Burke, P. J. (2005). New directions in identity control theory. Advances in Group Processes, 22, 43-64.
- Stets, J. E., & Burke, P. J. (2005). Self-verification, control, and aggression. Social Psychology Quarterly, 68, 160-178.
- Stets, J. E., & Burke, P. J. (2000). Identity theory and social identity theory. Social Psychology Quarterly, 63, 224-237.
- Stryker, S., & Burke, P. J. (2000). The past, present, and future of an identity theory. Social Psychology Quarterly, 63, 284-297.
- Burke, P. J. (2008). Identity, emotion, and social structure. In D. T. Robinson & J. Clay-Warner (Eds.), Social Structure and Emotion. San Diego: Elsevier.
- Burke, P. J. (2006). Perceptions of leadership in groups: An empirical test of Identity Control Theory. In K. McClelland & T. J. Fararo (Eds.), Purpose, Meaning, and Action: Control Systems Theories in Sociology (pp. 267-291). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Stets, J. E., & Burke, P. J. (2003). A sociological approach to self and identity. In M. R. Leary & J. P. Tangney (Eds.), Handbook of self and identity (pp. 128-152). New York: Guilford Press.
Peter J. Burke
Department of Sociology
University of California
Riverside, California 92521-0419
United States of America
- Phone: (951) 827-7004
- Fax: (951) 827-3330